"It's not so much the heat, as it is the humidity."
A phrase that rings true in almost every home. When it's muggy outside, it's muggy inside. And excess humidity can make you miserable. You can literally see, feel and smell it:
- Indoor condensation appears on windows, mirrors and cold drinks
- Your house becomes a breeding ground for insects
- Wood floors, trim and wood furniture warp or rot
- You experience uncomfortable sweating at normal indoor temperatures
- Skin feels sticky in summer/clammy in winter
- Rooms smell musty
Overcooling is a costly - and ineffective - solution.
Air that has too much humidity in it actually makes you feel warmer. Many homeowners make the mistake of overcooling their homes in an effort to mitigate high humidity. Not only do they end up expending more energy, they still can't get comfortable because an air conditioner is not an effective dehumidifier.
Aprilaire whole-home dehumidifiers remove moisture in every room.
A whole-home dehumidifier is installed as part of your home's heating and cooling system. It works in conjunction with your air conditioner, or independently as needed, to remove the ideal amount of moisture to solve the above problems. But not so much that your home becomes too dry.
This is done throughout your entire home, using a single, out-of-the-way source - unlike a portable dehumidifier.
A whole-home dehumidifier can help you:
- Control health
Whole-home dehumidifiers can reduce dust mite growth and the prevalence of mold and other contaminants that can trigger allergy and asthma symptoms.
- Maintain comfort and eliminate odors
That cold, clammy air, that stuffy feeling and those musty, mildew-like odors will be a thing of the past. Whole-home dehumidifiers remove moisture throughout your home - from the basement to the attic and everything in between.
- Protect your home
Your home's structure and your possessions will also be protected against rotting and warping. Wood, drywall, home furnishings and other possessions will last longer when excess humidity is eliminated and proper humidity is maintained.
- Improve energy efficiency
When excess humidity is removed from indoor air, you'll feel cooler at a higher temperature. That means you can set your air conditioner temperature a few degrees higher.
Other advantages of a whole-home dehumidifier include:
- Automatic humidity sensing: allows for better monitoring and control of humidity
- Convenient, quiet operation: away from your living space
- Low maintenance dehumidifier: simple annual filter cleaning